The Internet is everywhere. It’s a network linking millions of computers all over the world. With a computer, the right software and a phone connection, anyone anywhere in the world can set up a website for anyone else to look at.
There’s no one in charge of the Internet and since there’s no limit to the number of computers that can be linked, there’s no limit to the amount of information that can be held on it.
Four Incredible Internet Facts
- The first message sent between computers was “lo”. The sender was trying to write “login” but the system crashed before he finished typing.
- New websites are added to the World Wide Web so rapidly that it is impossible for anyone to say how big it is.
- The name “Google” is a play on the word “googol” which is the name for the number 1 followed by 100 zeros.
- A wiki is a website that allows anyone to add to or change its content. The word “wiki” comes from a Hawaiian word for “quick”.
Rapid growth (year – number of Internet users)
Year number of Internet users
Top ten Internet nations (2014)
Country Internet Users
- China 641,601,070
- United States 279,834,232
- India 243,198,922
- Japan 109,252,912
- Brazil 107,822,831
- Russia 84,437,793
- Germany 71,727,551
- Nigeria 67,101,452
- United Kingdom 57,075,826
- France 55,429,382