- 1 What is Paytm?
- 2 What is Paytm Wallet?
- 3 How to use Paytm and Paytm Wallet?
- 4 How to use Paytm for offline payments?
- 5 Is Paytm Wallet safe?
- 6 How to transfer money from Paytm to any bank account using Paytm app
- 7 How to transfer money from Paytm Wallet to bank account using Paytm desktop website
- 8 What are some alternatives to Paytm?
What is Paytm?
Paytm, owned by One97 Communications, is a digital payments platform that allows you to transfer cash into the integrated wallet via online banking, debit cards, and credit cards, or even by depositing cash via select banks and partners. Using the money in the Paytm wallet, you can pay for a number of goods without using cash.
Among the transactions you can make on Paytm are recharges for mobile phones, metro cards, DTH cable, data cards, etc, as well as postpaid payments for mobile phones, landline/ broadband, electricity, water and gas bills, etc. You can also book tickets for buses, trains, flights, movies, hotel rooms, etc. and pay for Uber cab rides using the platform. Additionally, you can buy goods on the company’s e-commerce platform using the wallet, and even make offline payments at over 8 lakh merchants, Paytm claims.
What is Paytm Wallet?
Paytm Wallet, as mentioned above, is the digital payment instrument where you can transfer money from your bank account or credit card to use for transactions on the platform. You need to set up an account using your mobile phone number and email ID to setup a Paytm account and transfer cash to the wallet. You can add up to Rs. 10,000 in a month in the Wallet; if you want to increase the monthly limit, then you can get the KYC (Know Your Customer) processor done. With this, you can have up to Rs. 1 lakh in the Paytm Wallet at any point of time.
How to use Paytm and Paytm Wallet?
In order to use the Paytm Wallet and transact cash-free, follow the steps below:
- Set up a Paytm account using your mobile number and email ID
- Add some money to your Paytm Wallet using netbanking, debit card, or credit card
- To transfer money to someone else, select the ‘Pay or Send’ option
- You can make payments to others or to bank accounts on Paytm by scanning a QR code
- Alternatively, you can send money to another Paytm user via their phone number
How to use Paytm for offline payments?
You can make cash-less payments using Paytm Wallet even without internet connectivity. If a retailer accepts Paytm as a mode of payment, you can either use QR codes or bar codes, along with a One-Time Password (OTP) to pay them. To do this, you need to open the app, select the ‘Pay or Send’ option, and choose between QR code or bar codes (provided in two separate tabs). Just scan the code and enter the OTP to authorize the payment offline. This feature can be especially useful right now, when the whole country is facing a cash crunch and internet connectivity is still not good enough to facilitate online transactions.
Is Paytm Wallet safe?
Security is top of everyone’s mind when it comes to any digital, but Paytm – which is an RBI-approved wallet – says it keeps the money you put in the Wallet is “protected under Escrow account with a reputed bank.” Paytm uses Verisign-certified 128-bit encryption technology, which means that the secret key used in transactions is a sequence of 128 bits and does not reveal anything about the password length or contents. The platform is PCI DSS 2.0 certified, which means it does not store credit card data in unencrypted form.
How to transfer money from Paytm to any bank account using Paytm app
- Open the Paytm app on your smartphone and tap the Passbook icon
- Here, select the Send Money to Bank option
- Tap on Transfer
- Enter the amount, account holder’s name, bank account number, and IFSC code
- Hit the Send button
How to transfer money from Paytm Wallet to bank account using Paytm desktop website
- Open Paytm.com website and login to your account
- Roll the mouse cursor over your name at the top-right of the screen and click on Paytm Wallet
- In this window, select the Transfer to Bank option and type in the requisite details
- Hit the Send Money button
If you are a new Paytm user without KYC, you have to wait three days to transfer money from your Paytm Wallet to bank account. On the other hand, those who have completed the KYC process can start bank transfers immediately.
What are some alternatives to Paytm?
While Paytm is the dominant player in the digital payments space, others are not too far behind either. Snapdeal-owned FreeCharge, MobiKwik, Ola Money, and PayUMoney are other names in this segment that are popular too, each with its own distinguishing feature. Read our in-depth comparison of mobile wallets available in India.